send me pictures of your frog

Mitigating Loses

Feedback Post

The rollback was something that some people wanted and others didn't.  This post is meant for future events similar to the ones we just experienced the past week and ways for the playerbase to be more accepting towards a wipe.

1. Communication Between Management and the Playerbase

This is a big thing that led to much discontent with the rollback and generally how everything was handled regarding the series of glitches that led to the March Rollback. With the only announcement regarding the issue being from JPH and boiling down to "We are working on it, further updates will be posted in #announcements on Discord, listen to updates here instead of rumors." This is a good announcement and one that sets a good example of what a staff team should do during an event; however, no future updates ever showed up. Everyone was left completely in the dark as the playerbase was forced to resort to speculation rather than fact as not only did the players know nothing, but even other staff members knew nothing about what was going on.  Wildmonkei, Head Admin on moat.gg admitted in Discord to not knowing a thing about what was happening with the wipe (attached below).  When it gets to the point where even the Head Admin doesn't have a clue as to what is going on, then there is a problem. Players were not even notified that a rollback happened nor were they warned that one was going to happen. About 5 hours before the rollback, Jerry, the Community Lead, even went to say that there are no updates regarding the issue (also attached below). This was obviously false as not even a day later the rollback happened to the surprise of many. Essentially, this part just boils down to a lack of communication that led to confusion and speculation. If Management updated the community as things went on and the playerbase was notified on what was expected to happen, then this would not be a problem. However, because nobody was told anything and the rollback happened without any announcement, players reacted and were rightfully annoyed with the sudden action and lack of communication.

2. Doing a Rollback Sooner

The server rolled back to March 17, 2020; this is a known fact. However, what does not make sense is the fact that this rollback did not happen until around 7PM on March 25, 2020. This is a whole 8 days of playing during a time where nobody has anything else to do but stay at home due to the global COVID-19 outbreak. Because of this extended break, players had much more freetime to play the server and were able to progress much faster than if it was just a regular day and they had to divert some time to school, work, or other daily events. This gave many players highly valued items between this break, many of which achieved this items legitimately. I for one was not affected by any of the inventory glitches, but I was still punished by the rollback by losing ~1 million IC worth of items. This was the most I've ever had and now I'm back to square one. This could have been seriously mitigated if Management did a rollback sooner, say maybe within 3 days. This would have given players less time to gain items that would inevitably be lost from the rollback. This also would not have been a problem if there was the aforementioned communication between management and the playerbase as the players would know that a rollback would happen soon and they would just stay off the server for a few days. However, neither of these things happened and players lost 8 days of items which really felt like a whole month of progress due to Corona Break. 

3. Doing a Rollback Further in Time

Now this might seem contradictory to my post, but rolling the server back a few days later would have been much better. For example, there are still glitched items on the server. They are not overpowered weapons like in glitches 2 and 3, but instead have the wrong stats, talents, and sometimes are just a completely different gun, a characteristic of the 1st initial glitch that started all of this. Now not only do players have weapons that are not what they originally wanted, but this still creates confusion as there is still no communication with players. For example, if the 1st glitch still happened, will the 2nd and 3rd happen later on? Will another rollback happen as there are still bugged items? Was the problem fixed or will it show up again as this is only a rollback? How did this glitch happen in the first place and how do we know it won't happen again? If Management communicated and if they also rolled the server back a couple more days in the past, say March 14th, then there would be less confusion and more people would be accepting of the rollback as they would get their weapons back to normal; however, this is not the case as people still have weapons with different stats, talents, and models from when they first unboxed/traded for it.

In conclusion, the biggest point of my post is communication. Players should never have to go through an entire series of issues as large as the ones we just experienced with this little information. I hope Management reads this and takes this into consideration next time an event like this takes place as I seriously believe it would have made the playerbase much more content with the rollback. Please discuss and add contributions below. Criticism of my post is supported as I want for this to best reflect ways for the server to improve when handling situations like the set of inventory glitches that we just experienced.

Screenshot (15).png

Screenshot (16).png

Edited by send me pictures of your frog (see edit history)
  • Agree Agree x 1
  • Winner Winner x 2

12 hours ago, send me pictures of your frog said:

About 5 hours before the rollback, Jerry, the Community Lead, even went to say that there are no updates regarding the issue (also attached below). This was obviously false as not even a day later the rollback happened to the surprise of many.

Now now.. there is no proof or not that Jerry didn't know about any updates.. Cole could just as easily surprised him as well with a sudden rollback.

Its not like Jerry is actually active in his Community Lead position so /shrug

12 hours ago, -=Erissa=- Chicken Hawk moat.gg said:

Now now.. there is no proof or not that Jerry didn't know about any updates.. Cole could just as easily surprised him as well with a sudden rollback.

Its not like Jerry is actually active in his Community Lead position so /shrug

That’s part of my point though, if even Jerry, the Community Lead, has no clue on what’s going on even 5 hours before a rollback took place then something is wrong. Better communication would have made this rollback x10 smoother. Hopefully Management actually starts communicating amongst eachother and then spreads this info to staff and the playerbase.

• Agree Agree x 1

On 3/26/2020 at 11:29 AM, KuroiNeko (◣∀◢)ψ said:

Honestly anyone who cries about the new items/IC/SC they gained while this entire issue was happening is stupid, Everyone knew that something was going to happen whether a ROLLBACK or a WIPE so if people are just gonna sit and cry about how much good stuff they obtained after the glitch and how they want it to be compensated yeah well it ain't gonna happen and that's entirely YOUR OWN fault not the staff or the devs.

Except we didn’t know whether any action was going to take place because nobody told us anything and we were just left in the dark. That’s like the whole point of my post.

1 hour ago, send me pictures of your frog said:

That’s part of my point though, if even Jerry, the Community Lead, has no clue on what’s going on even 5 hours before a rollback took place then something is wrong. Better communication would have made this rollback x10 smoother. Hopefully Management actually starts communicating amongst eachother and then spreads this info to staff and the playerbase.

100x agree with you. That has been a running issue with this leadership for years though. Made worse by Cole's actions, or lack thereof.

Came back Monday or Tuesday this week after a near 6 month hiatus, found that my entire inv had been wiped in December. Was upset, but realized this was a fresh start. Heard about the glitched stuff but after methodically checking the forums and discord, I found no announcements or updates from anyone to hint at another wipe or rollback. On the grind all this week, from level 0 to 20+, spent all my Support Credits. Log in today and find that once again, everything is gone. I'm mortified at how this was handled. 

• No Quality Control or any real testing before the updates are published to mitigate bugs
  • When bugs are found, either no action is taken, or action is taken far too late
  • Actions are essentially spaghetti code slapped against the wall and hoping it sticks, doesn't seem to be any actual forethought or discussion before it's done.
  • Absolutely no transparency or announcements made in any clear fashion

TL;DR: People are pissed, shits STILL broken, pls fix. Also QA your shit.

Edited by Mark $ Fortune (see edit history)

Right, I am just going to put my opinion in on this, the inventory rollback is necessary. I know its stupid and I know that you guys are going to complain however I think most of you understand that having broken items in the economy would be a stupid idea. There is not a good way to remove the glitched items without creating having a very complex logging system and manually going through the logs and fixing them all.  That being said, moat probably doesn't have the depth that he would need to even go about fixing this

Management  not putting out an announcement on the discord/forums is a stupid idea but I get the thought behind it. They don't want all the negative drama that there was last time. Moat is trying to do his best in not pissing on the community and has actually been trying to get better from what I can see from just discord/game/other stuff.  That being said moat still does what moat wants to do and sometimes that is not what everyone else wants. I think Jerry is trying his best to get through this however not having access to the code makes this impossible to fix without moat doing so. 

I would argue doing a rollback from before the bug was introduced was an essential however it seems like that was not done so some of the guns are still roaming around. This is stupid and will only help a little bit. It was better to wait until the bug was completely fixed then rollback to the nearest database save that he had however this could have been weeks ago depending on how often he backs them up. 

The most disappointing part of this was how long it took to fix, they 100% use git so a quick rollback to when this was introduced would have done the trick then push the old database and it should have been fixed in hours of it being discovered. 

but can i have my palnetary gcsomthing back because i know im never getting i new one

As a person who didn't  get affected by the very first glitch and didn't lose/gain anything this rollback actually set me back to have my original inventory after suffering from the other two glitches (not having anything available from my inventory for good 2 days to having my entire inventory with OP guns) this rollback was a good step even if it took a while to happen  given Moat wanted to avoid a wipe and there is more to fix as there's still glitched guns out there and items people never had (like the t-rex model that still probably exists in bulks which it shouldn't as there was only 1 that ever dropped) 

While a wipe would settle it for good and is the easy option, look at the effort these people put in to AVOID it.

Honestly anyone who cries about the new items/IC/SC they gained while this entire issue was happening is stupid, Everyone knew that something was going to happen whether a ROLLBACK or a WIPE so if people are just gonna sit and cry about how much good stuff they obtained after the glitch and how they want it to be compensated yeah well it ain't gonna happen and that's entirely YOUR OWN fault not the staff or the devs.

For those who still have stuff affected by the first glitch and still haven't regained their original inventory, keep calm it's most likely being in progress and will be completely fixed.

I'm legit gonna copy pasta this on every thread regarding the rollback cause most you seem to never be satisfied regardless of the outcome. Whether a wipe or rollback plenty of you would still complain for sure without even thinking logically for a damn second.

im just hoping at some point they fix the items effected by the first glitch because as it stands none of my HE and up guns have the right talents, half my non guns got turned into Halloween/Easter skins and ive got a warriochi that used to be focus, prep, and double lich that is now focus feather and nothing else, i do like the moat community i just wish there was literally any communication between higher ups and the playerbase there was an 8 day stretch where no one knew anything when all we needed was "hey rollback is being worked on" maybe while hes (hopefully) focusing on the initial glitch he can take the time to improve communication with his community by keeping us updated on whats going on with the initial glitch

• Agree Agree x 2

Just wipe the server... Alot of the community would want it and it would help all the new players that joined after the roll back because they wont have to worry about all the OP stuff there is