Erion Invisus

The "Safe Word" Filter

Feedback Post

Let's be real with ourselves here. This "safe word" filter is, honestly, a very poorly designed, implemented, and thought-out plan. Literally everyone who has seen it, agrees with this, as far as I've seen.

It's broken chat binds, it has rather distasteful political statements in it, clearly offensive things, and.. just.. Why? Also, the list of words that are banned.. "fool"? Really? "♥♥♥♥" is banned too? This is just.. This is just poor design, and an attempt to try and "bandaid" over a clearly broken system. why was it even implemented in the first place? It should have been obvious that this was going to get huge amounts of backlash.

Not only that, but, it's easily worked around. It's so easy to bypass, that it's nothing more than an annoyance, than an actual system designed to stop anything. If anything, it's made things worse. Get rid of it.

Edited by Kintsunagi (see edit history)
  • Agree Agree x 17
  • Funny Funny x 1

I've said this before, but Moat is not out parent. We are not in kindergarten. We shouldn't have to be looked over by Cole and his staff. Remove this completely. If someone is getting harassed they can report or block them. If someone is getting annoyed they can block them. I see no point in turning this server into ROBLOX level chat filters.

Not to mention garrysmod is rated 13+ (some say 17+) so it really isn't anyone's fault except the kid and his parents if he hears some people say ♥♥♥♥ on the internet.

• Agree Agree x 7

Get rid of the ABSOLUTE TRASH!!!

Seriously a poll was made to allow the word, and sorry for uttering it, but i'm trying to prove a point: NlGGER
This word was suddenly allowed and no longer considered hateful conduct in itself unless used in a degrading way towards people of darker skin color. 

But now a swear word filter that filters off "♥♥♥♥" and "fool"... Listen I'm not one to pull this card but this ♥♥♥♥♥♥♥ kinder garden logic, that is applied in an adult game about KILLING each other...

Oh no we cant say fool.. but we can commit mass genocide on anyone not traitor( or if you play TTC: Serial killer)

Imma be real with ya on this one, get ya head out of your ♥♥♥ and get your ♥♥♥♥ straight........ If you are so scared of words, you should take a moment and reflect on yourself, more than your community.. and stop punishing your community for it..

• Agree Agree x 4
  • Disagree Disagree x 1
  • Friendly Friendly x 1

To be honest "younger players" shouldnt even be able to play Gmod in the first place, let alone be in the Discord server since TOS literally states that users MUST be 13+. This chat filter is honestly pointless, also if Moat wanted to remove toxicity he might as well just fucken re-implement HC rule. 

• Agree Agree x 2

Chat binds were fixed (such as {slot1} and such)

The reason this is in place is to lower the "Toxicity" in moat, ever since hateful conduct was removed the servers have been basically modern warfare 2 servers. They make the servers not fun, and a very bad environment for a lot of players/younger players.

Credit where due, i really appreciate the strides to cleaning up the toxicity. And trying to improve the overall mood whilst playing moat servers. I think a better move is remove the chat filter, or only filter the  N word and the F word and add hateful conduct back if you really want to fix the toxicity.

As it stands you can't say boobies but you can call someone the n word. 0_0

Also, you can literally type two curse words, and it only filters the first word.

Edited by Ice33 (see edit history)
  • Agree Agree x 3
  • Disagree Disagree x 1
  • Winner Winner x 1

3 minutes ago, Ice33 said:

The reason this is in place is to lower the "Toxicity" in moat, ever since hateful conduct was removed the servers have been basically modern warfare 2 servers. They make the servers not fun, and a very bad environment for a lot of players/younger players.

meanwhile i really appreciate the strides to cleaning up the toxicity, i think a better move is remove the chat filter, or only filter the  N word and the F word and add hateful conduct back if you really want to fix the toxicity.

I agree with this. Yes, the toxicity and the harassment needs to be seriously toned down. I do appreciate the progress being made to try and clean it up, but this chat filter is obviously not the way to go. Not with the dictionary it uses, not with the phrases that have been chosen, and definitely not with how easily it's gone around.

So. currently alot of words are now memed by moat. Cap is removed (Capslock) even some normally used words (Associate. Association) are also memed like. this is bad

I've had several regular words get censored too. I wouldn't even be that bothered IF it didn't censor normal works that have no business being censored.

IF you're going to censor profanity, make it toggleable, and make it so it just replaces the words with astrixes instead of this attempting-to-be-funny-but-failing-miserably ♥♥♥♥. 

TTT is a gamemode that tilts people fairly easily, and sometimes venting in chat is a good way to get de-tilted, but all this language filter does is make people even MORE tilted... big oof 

Someone also pointed out that if someone has a censored word in their name, the KOS binds on them won't work... this could be abused to stop people from being able to call KOS's on them... even if it only effects people who have the safe messaging option turned on, that's still some players that won't see KOS's on people just because they have censored words in their names. If this is going to be a thing there needs to be some way to exclude KOS messages from the filter or someone will inevitably use it to their advantage. 

Also, what is the point in adding in a chat filter when people literally swear and say racist ♥♥♥♥ over mic ALL of the time? That pretty much makes the chat filter redudant... it's one thing reading profanity but it's so much worse hearing it. 

If you're going to try and make Moat a less toxic enviroment, maybe start by, I don't know, disallowing racism? I'm getting pretty sick and tired of all the edgelords thinking they're funny or cool by saying the N-word over and over.

Edited by baked bean (see edit history)

we are playing a game where your objective is to shoot and kill innocent people and you have added a club penguin level word filter. i understand wanting people to be less toxic. but forcing them to use clean words isnt going to do that. i would argue it just makes people more frustrated (from being treated like a child)and more likely to take that frustration out on the other members of the server. i also dont think the servers are overly toxic, people are very nice 95% of the time and the only people who get ♥♥♥♥ on by the whole server are usually rdming and the hate is justified.  this change just makes me think about how disconnected cole or jerry is from the actual player base.

• Agree Agree x 1

1 minute ago, Simonqwadjke said:

So what you are saying is I should not be allowed to say "♥♥♥♥ me" when I ♥♥♥♥ up?

I ♥♥♥♥ up ♥♥♥♥♥♥♥ all the ♥♥♥♥♥♥♥ time and I ♥♥♥♥♥♥♥ want to ♥♥♥♥♥♥♥ say ♥♥♥♥ then I ♥♥♥♥ up so ♥♥♥♥ this ♥♥♥♥♥♥♥ chat filter! ♥♥♥♥!

not what he meant by the f word  but ok ♥♥♥♥♥♥

Unless what's on the todo list is false, looks like he's adding a client-side toggle on/off option. So give it a little bit.

6 minutes ago, Ice33 said:

Unless what's on the todo list is false, looks like he's adding a client-side toggle on/off option. So give it a little bit.

well that's at least a relief 

Already bypassed it in so  many ways, and also what is gonna be next a voice chat filter. There is no need of this at all because people will just start to harass in any other way.  However, I do understand the use of it to make the community non-toxic, but next thing you know it is back to banning people for being toxic to newbies. 

13 hours ago, Simonqwadjke said:

aren't legally allowed to play GMOD anyways.. who cares?

Easy fix.. re-implement hateful conduct and stop with SJW chat filtering.. no one.. and I repeat NO ONE! likes senscoring to this extend... its just plain and simple childish.

So what you are saying is I should not be allowed to say "♥♥♥♥ me" when I ♥♥♥♥ up?

I ♥♥♥♥ up ♥♥♥♥♥♥♥ all the ♥♥♥♥♥♥♥ time and I ♥♥♥♥♥♥♥ want to ♥♥♥♥♥♥♥ say ♥♥♥♥ then I ♥♥♥♥ up so ♥♥♥♥ this ♥♥♥♥♥♥♥ chat filter! ♥♥♥♥!

"SJW chat filtering"
"SJW chat filtering"

i dislike the idea of a chat filter at all and think it shouldnt be in but the current one is absolutely ridiculous and lobbies ive been in have been repeatedly getting ♥♥♥♥♥♥ over by words like spawn being censored, seriously why the ♥♥♥♥ is spawn censored

• Agree Agree x 1

On 4/18/2020 at 8:09 PM, gho5ty said:

just say it to yourself, not everyone needs to know that you ♥♥♥♥♥♥ up.

It's not about who it's said to, nor the content of the comments, it's about making a statement of the absurdity of this kind of censorship.

We are talking about a filter that does not allow words such as spawn, space, ♥♥♥ or even fool, but as mentioned many times in this post already, far worse words are allowed or far worse alternatives to the censored words are still allowed.

Tell me how we are going to have a casual conversation on TTC about how the phoenix can re-spawn or that the doctor and witch doctor can revive you so that you spawn again.

Or someone asking for some space cause they do not like people following them?
Heck just casual conversation of volumetric locations or rooms.. or maybe astronomy is going to be.. dare I say it.. absolutely ♥♥♥♥♥♥!

As previously stated: In a game where you commit mass murder, sometimes quite violently, it seems highly out of place to censor people this way and in my honest and unfiltered opinion, I think it's insulting and disrespectful to your community!
If you are going to filter anything, then make sure you do not in any way disrupt the flow of the game or inhibit playes ability to communicate. 

On 4/18/2020 at 9:43 PM, Not Yoda said:

Yeah this is the dumbest thing ever, like what’s the point when people legit can swear on mic.

On the topic of communication, chat filder is useless when majority of players uses voice chat anyways, and since its not being moderated or enforced in voice chat, it just seems like alarming double standards!

In my view there is a mute button for a reason, trying to do top down restrictions on things people say just sends a bad message and really makes the words more cool to say because of the taboo caused by these rules.

2 minutes ago, Ice33 said:

younger players.

3 minutes ago, Ice33 said:

The reason this is in place is to lower the "Toxicity" in moat, ever since hateful conduct was removed the servers have been basically modern warfare 2 servers.

Easy fix.. re-implement hateful conduct and stop with SJW chat filtering.. no one.. and I repeat NO ONE! likes senscoring to this extend... its just plain and simple childish.

5 minutes ago, Ice33 said:

e i really appreciate the strides to cleaning up the toxicity, i think a better move is remove the chat filter, or only filter the  N word and the F word and add hateful conduct back if you really want to fix the toxicity.

• Agree Agree x 1
  • Pog Pog x 1

2 hours ago, Simonqwadjke said:

just say it to yourself, not everyone needs to know that you ♥♥♥♥♥♥ up.

• Funny Funny x 1

16 hours ago, Ice33 said:

Credit where due, i really appreciate the strides to cleaning up the toxicity. And trying to improve the overall mood whilst playing moat servers. I think a better move is remove the chat filter, or only filter the  N word and the F word and add hateful conduct back if you really want to fix the toxicity.

Also, you can literally type two curse words, and it only filters the first word.

I liked mw2 lobbies tho. They were fun. Moat isnt a fourth of fun as mw2 vc.

Honestly if a parent is allowing their kid to play gmod ttt they should atleast monitor it. It shouldnt be up to a server to say you cant say ♥♥♥♥ cos a 3 year old might be playing. Like ♥♥♥♥ this im out of this ♥♥♥♥. Only thing if you really want a filter do something actaully good. For example, bigger turns to brown, ♥♥♥♥ turns to ♥♥♥♥, ♥♥♥♥ turns to frick, ♥♥♥♥ turns to ♥♥♥♥♥♥, ♥♥♥♥/♥♥♥♥ change to pp, etc. Dont punish everyone so they cant use swears. You cant fix the ♥♥♥♥♥♥♥ worlds language, so why change it to absolute trash like how it is now it in a 16 year old game's server. 

This plus no ability to restrict gambling from yourself is why Im choosing to do an loa. You choose to look at ♥♥♥♥ like swears as bad but when it comes to something that is an actual big problem like gambling addiction you blow it off. Like wtf. I use to nvr gamble but now Im ♥♥♥♥♥♥♥ addicted. 

Like really should you be blocking words like ♥♥♥♥ and boobies and do absolutely nothing to ppl or actually do something that matters and could help ppl who are addicted to gambling. Having "toxicity" be the only thing that matters in this community is absolutely ridiculous. Cya ♥♥♥♥♥ later i guess. 

Edited by M-E-T-A (see edit history)
  • Agree Agree x 1

It's better to keep the safe word filter, we need to keep the server clean and show a good example to our players!

• Disagree Disagree x 1

Yikes this is even at worse as the people trying to hateful conduct readded. 10/10 just ban the words uwu/owo, furry, furfuck. Cause no one wants to hear or see it. One warning, 2nd warning is a 30 min ban, cause furries 🤢

While we at it, remove Shota and Loli, so my friend Asian stops getting a ♥♥♥♥♥ every time I mention my nephew or niece. 

• Agree Agree x 3
  • Disagree Disagree x 2
  • Zing Zing x 1