cole

The Truth about Moat

We hired a programmer with a medium level real-world programmer salary, but we did not require them to sign a contract. We did not take Garry's Mod as seriously as real life, but we learn and grow. The reality of the situation is the inventory anomalies stopped after we changed the MySQL username and password. What prompted us to change it was when we spotted blatant database abuse updating 1's to 2's or 7's to 4's. We took backups on December 27th, 2019, when we wiped, and October 28th, 2019. Around December, seventh is when the inventories started producing issues. We wiped inventories on December 27th, 2019. Today we have made it so that players receive items that we backed up from their inventory on October 28th, 2019 (if available), and from before the wipe on December 27th, 2019. Players between December 7th and December 27th that were missing items, that data is completely gone. It does not exist anymore. We gave the old programmer access to our servers while we were in a psychiatric hospital for a week. After we came home, we removed their access from everything since they were not under contract, but did not update the MySQL username and password used on the Garry's Mod server. We were unaware of our security hole for just under two months. We lost many inventory data in the process of learning how to hire programmers properly. We now automate daily backups of inventories and are releasing this security incident. We will grow and hire new programmers in the future. It all takes time. Stay cool.

• Agree x 5
  • Disagree x 4
  • Funny x 8
  • Winner x 1
  • Informative x 3
  • Friendly x 9
  • Useful x 2
  • Optimistic x 1
  • Artistic x 1
  • Pog x 6

Glad lessons have been learned, frankly many people doubted the backups being a thing but this was a very pleasant surprise, its great to see the server amid chaos but in a good way for once

• Agree Agree x 1
  • Disagree Disagree x 6

Not even my entire loadout was restored, much less my inventory. Does that mean I'm just completely screwed since it didn't get restored yet or is there more to come? I'd been playing on moat for over a year, nothing to do with that 7th-27th period. I'm not the only person experiencing this either, around 1/3 of everyone I see on servers didn't get much of anything and pretty much everyone had their stuff messed with in some way, whether that's in missing guns or the addition of hundreds of planetary talent muts.

Edited by CallMeWombat (see edit history)
  • Agree Agree x 5

I wouldn't have as much of a problem with this if I didn't spend a considerate amount of money rolling one of my weapons just for it to get deleted a week later by a security hole. Not to mention nothing I have after the wipe comes even close to it or will ever come as close. It really killed my motivation to play and my trust in the server. This was even rolled before december 7thimage.png.6323211660663360eac80bd8d07b9aef.png

Also as a sidenote I have quite a few other weapons that were not affected by the bug. However I could care less about them, this aug is actually the only thing I care about and would rather have refunded rather than my entire collection which included a christmas frag, nearly perfectly rolled meme CZ, and perfectly rolled meme revolver among several other weapons

Edited by RyanH (see edit history)
  • Agree Agree x 2
  • Disagree Disagree x 1
  • Funny Funny x 2

i have the same problem as ryan with my dancer ive had this way before any of this happendScreenshot_13.png.9e1cf6811668ee1e7211607ce1370c36.png

• Disagree Disagree x 1

%90 of my inventory was still thanos snapped this really ruined my motivation to play

• Agree Agree x 6
  • Pog Pog x 1

This does not explain why the inventories had glitched since the Thanos Snap and the servers had to be reverted. There were negative RPM guns and 40% trigger finger guns and servers were reverted a week later. Is the changed I username/password to blame for this as well or are there going to be precautions and more frequent backups created to prevent this? Are people with pages of mutators getting addressed or are they allowed to flood the economy with glitches mutators they didn’t earn? What about items that never reappeared that should have based on your explanation? What about people who used SC both before AND after the wipe when they were reimbursed?

You may have answered a few questions (that a lot of us already knew) but created many more questions and haven’t finished explaining how we will be returning to normal. Is someone actually going to handle item tickets? Is this the last time this sort of thing will happen?

• Agree Agree x 7
  • Disagree Disagree x 1
  • Funny Funny x 1

will the inventory return be progressive ?, because of more than 200 items I only received 5

What  i got back today \ /

Capturar.PNG

Edited by Charles Vane
i'm sad (see edit history)
  • Agree Agree x 2
  • Funny Funny x 1

>tfw you ♥♥♥♥ up so bad your TTT server becomes a ♥♥♥♥♥♥♥ Prop Hunt server for a few hours

:PogChamp:

• Agree Agree x 1
  • Funny Funny x 3
  • Pog Pog x 1

imagine claiming a title like "the truth about moat", but when the actual truth gets posted you censor it. topkek

• Agree Agree x 4
  • Disagree Disagree x 2
  • Zing Zing x 2
  • Pog Pog x 3

None of my inv was effected by the thanos snap. But the only thing I had 'returned' to me was a doomladen that was traded to me by a player that knew they were going to get perm ban during the 'extinct decon glitch'. I am sorry cole but your decision to return peoples inv was an absolutly terrible one. The ones who didnt get anything back will forever be playing a catch-up game with those that literally got 100's of planetary talent mutators, or literally a year of gameplay time worth of guns. And because of this catch-up game i've now been trust into, all of my post-wipe progress seems pointless now.

This is was just a small portion of my inv pre-wipe, so thank you cole for ruining your game for me.

edit-

aye, yo cole when you returned pre-wiped items did yall think about how you were also letting donators double dip on their SC? Becuase post wipe yall refunded that, right? :clown:

Edited by Manzy (see edit history)
  • Agree Agree x 6

I played prewipe and all I got back were a couple of ♥♥♥♥♥♥ high ends, a summer climb model, and June famas. Literally lost everything else.

• Agree Agree x 5

Some players like myself only got their clothing,masks,hat,power-up, secondary, and melees back but nothing else. Haven't had inventory updated since then, is their a guarantee for people like myself that we too will get our items back, or is it unknown at the current moment?

• Agree Agree x 6
  • Funny Funny x 1

Glad to see the community rebuilding Moat.You stay cool too : ) #SpreadPostivityVibes ❤️

Edited by Scopes
Changed The Name (see edit history)
  • Agree Agree x 2
  • Disagree Disagree x 2

this is cool and all, however I am missing so many items I cant even figure out what Im still missing, However I still dont have my T0 sterling, Immortal PK, Cosmic P228, Trepaci, ♥♥♥ Flak, BBF, Energizing AK, Joule, all of my 4 bootifuls, and others. I dont know what the plan is but if I dont get my stuff back like this post said Idk what ill do because this destroys my motivation to play.

• Agree Agree x 4

Before the wipe there was the bug. I lost my whole inventory to the bug worth around 25 -30 mil. This only restored the wiped stuff, so I didn't get my stuff back. Does this mean everything before that including the bug-wipe is gone? Or should we expect to get the bugged inventory wipe items back aswell?

• Agree Agree x 1

i really appreciate you coming forward and setting the record straight on what happened, what mistakes you made, and what you can do better to prevent it from happening in the future. Takes a lot of courage to hold yourself accountable for your mistakes like this and i really respect it. thank you cole, keep it up.

Well, at least we got a system for daily inventory backups.  Having nothing was fun and all in an ascetic, masochistic kind of way... but I prefer having stuff over not having stuff. 

The items that I got back I definitely didn't own anymore by october (Those items are up to a year old), and the items that I lost I had months before december (That I havent gotten back). I also got recent cosmetics items that I owned, but none of the guns that I had when I owned those cosmetic items (like my black mask model, and my balloonicorn. I obtained the balloonicorn after I got most of my planetaries (like 4  out of the 6 that I lost), but ages after the m24 that I somehow also obtained with the reversal of the wipe, which I didn't even own anymore by the time the wipe happened. However, I am still missing my planetaries, and my cosmic ak, all which were gotten after the m24, and before the balloonicorn.) I'm getting items from random periods of time from the past, and the present, which makes no sense. The m24 I got back was removed in someone elses inventory, months before all of the issues, via a wipe and a perma ban. 

Something isn't adding up here. People have gotten the majority of their items back from their recent invs, people are getting items from ages ago, some people are getting items from glitches that happened after the first inventory bug, and some people are getting nothing at all.

As much as I want to believe you, there is so much going on that doesn't line up with what you mentioned, especially considering I am getting mish-mashed time periods with the items that got returned to me. Surely there is some sort of explanation on why this is the case?

Also, what about the bugged items that just vanished before the wipe (one of the bugs that caused the wipe in the first place), will those be returned at all, or should people just give up hope on ever seeing those items again?

I'm still holding out hope, as this is a step in the right direction, I just want to know why some people are getting different outcomes that don't match up with your explanation.

Edited by CrustyTheMoist
Added more explanations and questions. (see edit history)
  • Agree Agree x 4

14 hours ago, RyanH said:

I wouldn't have as much of a problem with this if I didn't spend a considerate amount of money rolling one of my weapons just for it to get deleted a week later by a security hole. Not to mention nothing I have after the wipe comes even close to it or will ever come as close. It really killed my motivation to play and my trust in the server. This was even rolled before december 7thimage.png.6323211660663360eac80bd8d07b9aef.png

Also as a sidenote I have quite a few other weapons that were not affected by the bug. However I could care less about them, this aug is actually the only thing I care about and would rather have refunded rather than my entire collection which included a christmas frag, nearly perfectly rolled meme CZ, and perfectly rolled meme revolver among several other weapons

They did what you asked when u renamed the gun bro, its deleted. idk wot u on aboot.

It sucks that a lot of us lost items, the inventory return isn't going perfectly, some people are getting things and others aren't, etc. It's not exactly fair, but at least Moat is trying to fix the issues. I'm sure there's a bunch of hard work going on that doesn't see the light of day by people who read these complaints... At the end of the day (IMO) Moat TTT is still the best TTT out there. Aside from donations and buying SC's--which you aren't required to do, the gameplay and experience here is FREE. It's not set up as a Pay-2-win game mode.

I think ya'll need to chillax. It's a game. Ya'll talking about losing interest/motivation to play Moat TTT, that's fine. Find interest/motivation elsewhere and keep the trash talk and complaining out of Moat. Ya'll getting worked up for a silly reason IMO.

This thread shows that they care about their playerbase and are working to make things better/correct ♥♥♥♥ that's already happened. ♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥ about things not being perfect or exactly like they were before the "meltdown" just makes you an ungrateful ♥♥♥♥.

Edited by 5UP13X1N4T0R
to rant (see edit history)
  • Disagree Disagree x 12

Moat, you obviously used a backup that was right after the initial virus (the one that was discussed in the #announcements discord and that prompted a warning to use the servers at your own risk but was later deleted). By that time, a large portion of the server, especially the daily players, had already logged on and found most of their inventory gone. Did you have ANY backups that were made BEFORE the initial “virus” started deleting guns?

• Agree Agree x 1

3 hours ago, 5UP13X1N4T0R said:

It sucks that a lot of us lost items, the inventory return isn't going perfectly, some people are getting things and others aren't, etc. It's not exactly fair, but at least Moat is trying to fix the issues. I'm sure there's a bunch of hard work going on that doesn't see the light of day by people who read these complaints... At the end of the day (IMO) Moat TTT is still the best TTT out there. Aside from donations and buying SC's--which you aren't required to do, the gameplay and experience here is FREE. It's not set up as a Pay-2-win game mode.

I think ya'll need to chillax. It's a game. Ya'll talking about losing interest/motivation to play Moat TTT, that's fine. Find interest/motivation elsewhere and keep the trash talk and complaining out of Moat. Ya'll getting worked up for a silly reason IMO.

This thread shows that they care about their playerbase and are working to make things better/correct ♥♥♥♥ that's already happened. ♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥ about things not being perfect or exactly like they were before the "meltdown" just makes you an ungrateful ♥♥♥♥.

this is coming from the guy that makes a forum report on anyone for anything :omegalul:

• Agree Agree x 2
  • Zing Zing x 1

13 minutes ago, nashradical said:

this is coming from the guy that makes a forum report on anyone for anything :omegalul:

How is that relevant to what I said cockweasle? Reporting morans for ruining gameplay does a service to everyone. Keeps the riff raff out. 

• Disagree Disagree x 6
  • Funny Funny x 1

@cole its cool that you guys give back the  inventories... before quitting i deconned my whole inventory tho and i didn't get my ic back and apparently i won't. I feel this is unfair for the people who had legit ic that didn't came from the bug.  It's like saying you are returning the wallet but without the money into it. People who collected items rather than ic gets some sort of privilege here over the people who had ic. 

• Funny Funny x 1
  • Pog Pog x 1

Is there any way we can get some of the items we lost? I have some few screenshots of items I had that I would really like to have back, and find it just a bit unfair how some lucky people are probably making millions from never dealing with the glitch like many others. That's why I kind of was confused why the old weapons even came back, because it was already messed up before., bringing it back just brings back the mess, however, I am sure with enough time things will even out. But still, I would like to at least get back some items that I do have screenshots of before the glitch happened.

• Agree Agree x 1

This really ruined my motivation to play. 
After spending months of building my inventory back up, all of a sudden  heaps of people get 100s of Planetary Mutators and all sorts of other ♥♥♥♥ back out of thin air, but my stuff that I had before the wipe didn't come back. 
So not only did some people get a bunch of free stuff for doing absolutely nothing, but I get ♥♥♥♥♥♥ over in the process and get literally nothing I had pre-wipe back.

If you're going to give people their stuff back, atleast give EVERYONE their stuff back. That isn't fair at all.

I didn't have nearly as much stuff as these other people but I still had a couple of good things I would have liked back. It's not fair that all these people that obviously duped planetary mutators massivley got their stuff back but I didn't get my legitimatley obtained items back. 

Edited by baked bean (see edit history)
  • Agree Agree x 4