John Lemon

My Critique of Moat in its current state

Feedback Post

Moat has been a driving factor in why I play so much Gmod. The community is solid, sure they can be toxic at times but they mostly are still friendly. I started back in 2019 during March. Sure I haven't been playing for an extremely long time like some others but Moat has changed so much in even 1 year. I feel most are negative and in recent months have made me think about quitting moat but I still want to play. I want to have an enjoyable experience and get excited when I drop cosmics when it happens. How ever there are a few problems that have been driving me crazy.

1. Language Filter-  The language filter that was added was a very bad decision. I can see the intent to block toxicity however it does more harm than good. Sometimes im just typing in chat and interacting when my message gets filtered and pumps out complete nonsens. When I was talking about the assassin talent it completely filtered the message. Ive said stuff about selling and blocked me and I have even said, "wts" and filtered that too, what the ♥♥♥♥ kind of censorship is that ? I understand on discord where bad words aren't allowed however in the core game where it is about killing terrorist and trying to kill the traitor, this has no sense of being in the game. Most of us aren't 13 and getting language filtered is quite annoying

2.  Staff- I am not talking about staff members like the admins or the "hype bosses" I am talking about the ones who moderate the server like moderators and trial staff. The main problem with staff is their trigger finger with bans, Ive seen so many users been banned for the dumbest reasons lately. This wouldn't be as bad if it was a temporary ban like an hour or 2, we are talking about PERMANENT. People have been perma banned wrongfully. The staff don't even give a chance for the banned person do defend themselves. The people that report are what seems to be newer players.  For example look how many appeals there are on this site. There are so many and I know there aren't that many people being toxic and deserving of bans. However in helpcounter on discord there are so many people calling for staff are going without replies. I could be wrong on everything here and if someone could tell me that I am wrong I will appreciate it.

3.  Cole's Decisions- Let me explain this one. Cole is trying to make weird decisions of the servers. Obviously I DO NOT think hes a bad guy for this however its effecting everyone. With the wipes that happened I feel they were more justified and I was happy when he decided a rollback. But now things are different. Cole says he is trying to comp everyones inventories to pre-wipe status. I got so hyped when I heard this so I got on then....1 Skeleton king model...Thats it... No planetaries. No cosmics. No ic. I had 2 mil ic prewipe and didn't see 1 ic back. I was confused and I heard that was also happening to others so I waited. And waited. nothing... 2 weeks has passed since Cole promised inventories back and now theres a !comp command in game. I thought surely someone was going to get their stuff back now and many filled a comp tickets. Now a few days has passed and I never heard on 1 person getting their items back from !comp. I could be wrong however when I asked it seemed no one has responded. However only a few days has passed so I will be patient with the !comp command for now.

4.Lack of communication- This is one of the main problems I have with Cole actually. Hes not a bad guy but He doesn't talk to his community as much as he should. I know I know he crated a post stating the plans of moat. However this doesn't explain our inventories not getting stuff like we should. and does not explain what he plans for the actual future of moat. Like a few months in the future. His plans for moat explains roles hes adding in, Fixing the "fake rolls" in the inventory, and hey free hoodie for staff am I right guys? To me these are not plans because they do not effect how he improves the game or lays in stone what he wants to work on. In fact most of the time we have no idea in ♥♥♥♥ what he is working on and we have no clue when things are releasing or what is being released.  On another note I personally do not believe that Cole is talking to admins. When someone asks when is <new thing here> is being released the staff usually replies with "Its being worked on" or "just be patient" we just want to know what is happening with the server so PLEASE Cole please talk to us, we just want to know. 

I have a few more criticisms about the server but I think these are the most relevant and ones I wanted to talk about. If you disagree tell me why and if i'm wrong please don't be disrespectful about it. Its not that i'm weak it just respect. Tell me why I am wrong or why you disagree. You guys gave me so many memories on this server and I am glad for the interactions I have had on here. This community is what make Moat, Moat. I think everyone deserves the best. Thank you for taking the time to read this.

• Agree Agree x 6
  • Informative Informative x 1

5 minutes ago, Fizzy Kaminski said:

Oh no, this was 100% needed honestly. People were being hella racist and edgy because it's "funny," and had some VERY terribly named guns. It gets really annoying when someone just spams the hard "R" in voice chat/text chat, while spamming their racist named weapons. 

but there is actually a mute button, if you dont like something someone says then you dont have to listen when you have mute, why ruin the chat with stupid filters when someone can still say nasty stuff with a mic. it doesnt do a whole lot and it can be an inconvenience but I do see your point

Edited by John Lemon (see edit history)
  • Agree Agree x 2
  • Disagree Disagree x 1

1) It is a great idea to have a language filter as it helps out a lot, although I will say that it should rather be implemented better to only block out the bad words... (Sadly less of a filter would make it easier to get around the filter)

IMO I would say that a rule for this type of stuff would be better then a filter... An example of this is HC rules coming back. Although it shouldn't be taken to extreme measures like punishing people for swear words. The HC rule is good as it punishes people for using racial slurs or trying to put others down, while no longer having the problems most people had with it before of it having to harsh of a punishment.

2) For punishments, all staff members should be going off of the exact same guidelines for punishments.
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1QjWeUtnkjmRiKJ6ILH-dBSC9lmikGiW8tEjXqXPMcNs/edit#gid=0 

As well as here is some more info on rules https://moat.gg/community/topic/17292-ttt-guidelines/

If you see a staff member doing something wrong, then please gather evidence and head on over and make a staff complaint.  https://moat.gg/community/forms/24-submit-a-staff-complaint/

3) You might have missed this post that gives you some insight on some stuff https://moat.gg/community/topic/49004-the-truth-about-moat/

Edited by TrueDarkLord (see edit history)
  • Winner Winner x 1
  • Pog Pog x 1

47 minutes ago, John Lemon said:

1. Language Filter-  The language filter that was added was a very bad decision. I can see the intent to block toxicity however it does more harm than good. Sometimes im just typing in chat and interacting when my message gets filtered and pumps out complete nonsens. When I was talking about the assassin talent it completely filtered the message. Ive said stuff about selling and blocked me and I have even said, "wts" and filtered that too, what the ♥♥♥♥ kind of censorship is that ? I understand on discord where bad words aren't allowed however in the core game where it is about killing terrorist and trying to kill the traitor, this has no sense of being in the game. Most of us aren't 13 and getting language filtered is quite annoying

Oh no, this was 100% needed honestly. People were being hella racist and edgy because it's "funny," and had some VERY terribly named guns. It gets really annoying when someone just spams the hard "R" in voice chat/text chat, while spamming their racist named weapons. 

• Agree Agree x 2
  • Disagree Disagree x 1

33 minutes ago, Fizzy Kaminski said:

Gonna have to agree with that one.

38 minutes ago, John Lemon said:

but there is actually a mute button, if you dont like something someone says then you dont have to listen when you have mute, why ruin the chat with stupid filters when someone can still say nasty stuff with a mic. it doesnt do a whole lot and it can be an inconvenience but I do see your point

At the end of the day, this is somebody else's business that we're all consuming meaning to play on and enjoy. Obviously he cannot condone this even if he may feel contrary to the rules that are in place. The fact that we want to say "if you don't like it mute it" is just insane. You wouldn't go in the streets saying the hard R or saying nasty vile things to people's faces. The same logic should be applied here because at the end of the day it's not funny to be racist or offensive and it's quite harmful to ourselves to indulge in that behavior. Also there is children that happen to join the server and are apart of the server and that cannot be the standard set to them either. The fact that the rule was reinstated says a lot about how the community has been behaving and mistreating the suspended policy. 

Edited by weird booter guys moat.gg (see edit history)

i think the filter should be a choice, id prefer to know what people are saying rather than not see bad words.

• Agree Agree x 2

2 hours ago, Fizzy Kaminski said:

While I don't disagree that a filter is a bad thing (to an extent), the fact that dumb stuff like doggo, space, butter, and many more get censored (and just those words, I typed out different parts of each word with none of them getting censored)

We have staff who can deal with that kind of stuff. It censors way too many harmless things (and even some parts of names that hinder callouts, which is a huge issue.)

A server wide chat filter in ttt just doesn't work, it should be toggleable.

• Agree Agree x 2

the chat filter is awful, if someone says racist words they could just get banned for hateful conduct but what about curse words to vent out anger/frustration? people say those words in voice chat too, we're not 8 year olds who sould get their mouths washed with soap for saying a bad word, it's so retarded that they even censored caps, I WANNA SCREAM! the chat became so dull and you can't even say normal words like hello, space. turning it off should be an option idk why people think it's a good idea to have a safe space in a violent shooting game you snowflakes (i'm not talking about racial slurs but swear words)

Edited by WorldSoup (see edit history)

As a Mod, I think it's illogical to say they aren't given a chance to defend themselves, if they're visibly in the wrong we slay/ban them based on there actions. If you reply to a report with "asdfahfg" or something then chances are it'll be seen as you purposefully breaking the rules. You said it isn't slays or temporary bans but permanent and the issue that arises from this is Trial staff cannot permanently ban, they actually have to send evidence to another staff member for it to be verified so half of your argument is immediately invalid. We have the !motd command for new players, if a player is new and joins the server to just kill people without intent to know the rules then chances are they may be banned permanently but when you join the server if you don't understand something you ask (I'm not entirely sure if the rules still appear when you join). Furthermore you say banned for the "dumbest reasons" which isn't correct because the only things you tend to be permanently banned for in-game (not forums) by a staff member is Mass RDM of some kind.

22 hours ago, leadingquill505 said:

As a Mod, I think it's illogical to say they aren't given a chance to defend themselves, if they're visibly in the wrong we slay/ban them based on there actions. If you reply to a report with "asdfahfg" or something then chances are it'll be seen as you purposefully breaking the rules. You said it isn't slays or temporary bans but permanent and the issue that arises from this is Trial staff cannot permanently ban, they actually have to send evidence to another staff member for it to be verified so half of your argument is immediately invalid. We have the !motd command for new players, if a player is new and joins the server to just kill people without intent to know the rules then chances are they may be banned permanently but when you join the server if you don't understand something you ask (I'm not entirely sure if the rules still appear when you join). Furthermore you say banned for the "dumbest reasons" which isn't correct because the only things you tend to be permanently banned for in-game (not forums) by a staff member is M❤❤❤ RDM of some kind.

Then I will retract my statement. I was not completely sure how trial staff was held however a lot of people Ive seen just get permabanned for even accidental rdm or crossfire