wawa

A New Platform

Feedback Post

Over the past few weeks i have been evaluating moat.gg and i have come to the realization that moat is a 2020 server running on a 2006 game

There are things I want and i'm sure everyone else wants but cannot be accomplished because the platform we are on is more of a barrier.

There's already a community here which does or will eventually understand these limitations 

My proposition is to create a new platform to influence growth because so far all we have done is brought a game to its limits.

Gmod has been the same game for 16 years. You do have a choice over what goes in front of our faces. Why not make the better game better when we can? Just because its going to be a huge project or "I like where we at now"? Nobody has ever done great things from a "that's good enough".

Gmod is the good enough.

There's an ocean out there and we catching minnows. 

Wasn't the purpose of Gmod to create?  Most of moats resources go to making sure an animal doesn't accidentally click on another animal on a computer game. One of my friends is a staff here and says he has done nothing else then be a hall monitor. Wheres the innovation? Are there any big thinkers here?

Gmod is an optimized Roblox except strangely you can do more things on Roblox than you could ever do on Gmod.

NOT TO MENTION A HUGE DECREASE IN MANAGEMENT

This wouldn't benefit just moat, it will be beneficial to every single server hosted on Gmod.

Why be depended on 1 game when you can make one that serves as a building block for all future games?

Do you have an answer for that except "because gmod works"

Edited by wawa (see edit history)
  • Disagree Disagree x 3
  • Funny Funny x 1
  • Artistic Artistic x 1

Moat already said he will be making a moat ttt on gmod 2(sandbox) moat wont be dying soon anyway.

• Winner Winner x 1

So you are saying you want a completely new updated game? That defeats the purpose of Gmod. Gmod is popular because of its game-play and abilities to do with it (which are not at its limits in the slightest way). The graphics are not at the forefront of any reason the game is played (if this is another reason you want a "new platform").

The game is fine and great the way it is. why fix something that isn't broke?

Edited by Wanky Danky Waldo (see edit history)
  • Agree Agree x 2

Ok i'm confused now. You want a new platform (new base game)? That in itself is a HUGE project to undertake. Its not easy. Cole already has enough problems on his plate enough as it is. 

You also say...

2 hours ago, wawa said:

@jae moat.gg So he is still going to be dependent on Gmod?

Of course he will currently and forever be dependent on Gmod. The Gmod platform is the best for what he wants to do. Just because CSGO now has ttt capabilities does not make it a better platform. In fact it has less customization and building opportunities that you keep talking about and putting on a pedestal as the end all be all.

Other games that have had sub-games (mini games) in them that have split into their own entity have either taken years and years to build upon itself and remain trash or simply failed and reverted back to where they started. One of the best examples is DayZ. They started on ARMA2 as a mod, now they have their own game (which btw runs off of ARMA3 graphics, mechanics, etc.). That game was a horrible disaster and had no resemblance to the original game other than the name and the fact it had zombies. It only just now started to get somewhat playable and enjoyable. That took 5 years of early alpha access and an extra 2 years of sustainable updates. 7 years total to get the game somewhat playable. Moat has been around for less than half that and its already in an amazing position for more growth than what has happened. 

Yes, change is nice....but not for everything. Somethings work better on their original ideas. Again, why fix what isn't broken. you are looking to create a "COOL AND NEW THING!" for something that doesn't need it. Even then Gmod has been out since 2004 and yet no one has had a complaint on the platform being outdated and needing a fresh new pair of legs. Only recently have Sandbox and Facepunch decided to make a sequel to Gmod. And that was announced in 2017 at the end of the year. They only decided to do it because of a new engine that came out. Thats literally it. A new engine is the reason a Gmod 2 will be made. Not the fact that "its old and boring" or "we've done everything we can with this one". 

So again, NO, a new platform is not NEEDED for Moat. It will be to time consuming for Cole, the challenges involved are to great, there is no guarantee that people will convert to it and like it more, there is a HUGE failure rate with historically looking at other games becoming their own. 

Also saying this...

3 hours ago, wawa said:

If you do not believe in constant change and wanting better then you hold no rank over me.  Why should I let an inventory item judge whether a server runs smooth or not when I saw an opportunity to make better.

1. Makes you look like you have no idea what you are talking about

2. Proves that you don't want to talk about or explain in further detail why you had this (weird) idea

3. makes you look like a dic-k....like c'mon man. You really gonna call two people out that commented with constructive criticism and go all white knight on us? That's not how to handle a conversation about an idea that involves the community (not just your own self interest).

Please respond if you want to, but for go-d sake don't just berate me and others like you've already done. Try to argue your point with valid reasons.

That's the end of my spiel. This Hall Monitor has some hall pass-es to check.

Edited by Wanky Danky Waldo (see edit history)

Gmod Tower tried that and now they have a small game with a very small playerbase 

• Agree Agree x 1
  • Winner Winner x 1

2 hours ago, wawa said:

@jae moat.gg So he is still going to be dependent on Gmod?

wawa, there is nothing wrong with gmod as it stands.

source is fairly optimized and is especially good because ANYONE can play gmod (source/half life was made in 2004 and most maps still use half life textures and props)

we don't need to move to sandbox (source 2 garrysmod), there isn't even an ETA, no idea if development has started, and right now the source 2 sdk tools are not even fully released and still are not modified for use on a typical monitor. they were designed for high performance computers using VR, not an outdated computer most people playing moat use.

Gmod 2 is gonna be great, you can program an entire video game on to the existing base (so I've heard)

I don't oppose going to another platform at all. What I oppose is the logic you have behind it, that I can't get behind. This is someone's baby(gamemode) they wanna work on and perfect before they decide to ever go on a platform that hasn't even been made yet. This suggestion would be good, if the game was out and working and perhaps what we KNOW it looks like in finished form. 

1 hour ago, Dolber said:

I don't oppose going to another platform at all. What I oppose is the logic you have behind it, that I can't get behind. This is someone's baby(gamemode) they wanna work on and perfect before they decide to ever go on a platform that hasn't even been made yet. This suggestion would be good, if the game was out and working and perhaps what we KNOW it looks like in finished form. 

I am going to do the same for other gamemode servers to hopefully get a backing.

If the game was already out then i wouldn't have to say this. I saw the problem and i thought a way to fix it.

I always tell myself think big achieve big.

Wasn't the purpose of Gmod to create?  People are so invested in some internet gun or some skins that no one is inventing new ways to fix a problem. They just see what they have and accept it

Gmod is an updated Roblox.

Except strangely you can do more things on Roblox than you could ever do on Gmod.

This wouldn't benefit just moat, it will be beneficial to every single server hosted on Gmod.

You are not stopping me, i am hungry to see this happen and i am going to feed myself.

@❤❤❤❤y Danky Waldo No, Gmod has been the same game now for 16 years. You do have a choice over what goes in front of our faces. Why not make the better game better when we can? Just because its going to be a huge project or "I like where we at now"? Nobody has ever done great things from a "that's good Enough" that's Gmod. There's an ocean out there and we catching minnows.  In the entire history of earth 7 rotations is minuscule.

• Funny Funny x 1

Not to mention the decrease in management. 

Your game your rules.

On Gmod without someone moderating  its just sandbox with some guns

TTT but run like CSGO Official severs

Boss ❤❤❤❤